George & Mary Doud – Northfield Energy Contest
- George & Mary Doud
- Application Process
- Applicants were screened to identify homes that had the most energy usage and could also benefit most from a comprehensive energy efficiency upgrade. Three prize winning finalists were selected. Building Energy performed complete energy audits on all three homes. From the audit reports, the judges chose George & Mary Doud as the Grand Prize winners. They received $10,000 in energy efficiency improvements installed by Building Energy Corp.
- Grand Prize Winners
- George & Mary Doud, Northfield, Vt.
- A 1904 cape style farmhouse with 1,535 Sf. on two floors.
- Audit Date
- December 2008
- Attic insulation was improved from R20 to R40.
Wall insulation was significantly improved by dense packing cellulose insulation into the wall cavities.
6 hours of air sealing was done to seal cracks, access openings, baseboards, window trim, doors, posts, beams, light openings… Weather stripping and backdraft dampers were also installed.
A new Panasonic bathroom fan was installed to vent moisture to the outside.
Foam insulation was installed to insulate the stone foundation and crawl space and a vapor barrier was added to the kitchen crawl space to reduce moisture.
- The Doud’s will save over 40% on their energy bills.
- Home Energy Makeover Contest
- Building Energy was selected from a pool of insulation and weatherization contractors to partner with Efficiency Vermont and the Northfield Action Energy Team to sponsor a Home Energy Makeover Contest. The purpose of the contest was to demonstrate how homeowners could significantly reduce their energy usage and improve home comfort.